A FEW WORDS FOR CEPHALONIA
USEFUL INFORMATION FOR CEPHALONIA
- It’s the largest island of Heptanean and the sixth largest island of Greece
- Cephalonia’s capital is Argostoli with important small towns Lixouri, Sami and Poros
- Mountain Ainos is the highest mountain of Ionian Sea islands the black fir grows there.
- Kareta-Kareta sea turtles of the Mediterenean prefer specific beaches of Cephalonia to lay their eggs and the monachus monachus seals swim between Cephalonia and Ithaca.
- According to the legend Cephalonia was named after Kefalos, who was the king of the island that ruled during ancient times.
- The island’s strategic place attracted many conquerors, among them Venetians, Francs and English. Venetians were the ones who affected the most the cultural character of the island.
- The destructive earthquake of 1953 is a dark spot in the island’s history. Almost the whole island was collapsed except from several northern villages including Fiscardo and Assos.
- The music that identifies the island is the romantic ‘’Kantada’’ with mandolins and guitars.
- The local milk products, honey and virgin olive oil.
- Cephalonian meat pie (with 3 different kinds of meat: pork, beef and goat) and hake pie made from salted hake. Also fried hake and spicy skordalia accompanied by moropoula (boiled zucchini)
- Hare (rabbit) with red sauce and rooster with thick pasta.
- Robola, Cephalonian local wine.
- Mantoles (caramelized almonds), almond pie and pastoquince